Subject: Packages and mtree
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/28/1997 10:00:11
I have been playing with the packages stuff and I find that I need to be
root in order to install anything from it.  It seems that mtree wants to
be run as root.  This is kind of annoying.  I set up special users to
install software and give them ownership of the local tree.  It sure
would be nice if they were able to install most software without having
to be root.

I realize that there are going to be situations where root will be needed
because some packages need to be installed setuid but most don't and I
can check the few that do but when all of them need root you simply
can't stop and check each and every one.

So the questions are, why does mtree need to be run as root, do the
packages really need mtree and are there any other reasons that root
is required to install packages?