Subject: Re: __LIBC12_SOURCE__
To: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 10/28/1997 10:00:31
On Mon, Oct 27, 1997 at 08:37:23PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> What is the purpose of this define?

It is for internal libc use only. It is meant for a few libc source files
that need to use the old definitions of some functions, to be able to
provide a backward compatible interface for programs that were linked
with a libc.12 before the nlink_t & stat changes.

It should NOT be defined by anything else but libc.

I'm not sure why you'd want to link programs with an old libc using
new include files? Doesn't seem useful at all to me.. and it won't
work anyway. If you install new include files, you should recompile
libc as well, and everything will be fine: old programs will work,
newly compiled ones will work, and nothing breaks because the major
lib number wasn't bumped. And that was the whole point of this trick.

- Frank