Subject: Re: Partly false alarm Re: NFS problems in 1.2G/1.3_ALPHA
To: Mika Nystrom <mika@cs.caltech.edu>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 10/26/1997 12:24:07
On Sun, Oct 26, 1997 at 02:11:58AM -0800, Mika Nystrom wrote:
> Ok, so it was sort of a false alarm.  Through my own stupidity, I was
> running the wrong nfsd, and having corrected this problem, I can now
> use NFS between 1.3 and 1.2G systems, and non-NetBSD systems and the
> 1.2G and 1.3 systems.  1.2/1.1B/1.1_ALPHA/1.2_BETA(this one logs me out---
> the shell segfaults) systems still will not talk to the new NFS servers,
> however.  The 1.2/1.1B setup is a production cluster of some 30 systems
> with varying setups (four different architectures), and I really don't
> want to upgrade them to the new alpha system unless it's strictly and
> absolutely necessary...

Strange that older NetBSD version won't talk to the server.. Can the
older clients talk OK to non-NetBSD servers? I can't think of any
change that would have caused this. Especially since the server code
hardly changed at all since 1.2. Could you mail me a tcpdump output
from a client while it is mounting and shortly afterwards perhaps?

Also, make sure that you are using the -P option on the older
clients; the one change that was made in the server is that it
now requires reserved ports by default.

- Frank