Subject: Re: stripping local symbols in
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/24/1997 09:08:10
>I've had bad time finding out why the hell I can't set breakpoints
>inside shared library in gdb. Finally I've found out shared objects
>created by <> have local symbols stripped - the line in
>makefile looks like this:

>	@${LD} -x -r ${.TARGET}.o -o ${.TARGET}

Actually one of the changes I used to commonly make to was to
not strip symbols from the normal static libs.  That way if I wanted
to debug something I could link it -static and be able to trace
all the way down to the system call.  I've found it very useful
many times.

Given that the normal install opts strip binaries, could we have
setup such that one could easily chose whether to strip symbols?

In my own I handle this by using ${_x} and ${_X}, mainly so that
OS's that don't support those options or have different ones can set them

Simon J. Gerraty        <>

#include <disclaimer>   /* imagine something _very_ witty here */