Subject: Re: BEWARE: don't build in-space
To: Martin Husemann <>
From: Brian C. Grayson <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/22/1997 11:18:08
Martin Husemann wrote:
>> I have managed to get my system into a state where make simply refuses
>> to build anything at all.  Most of the time it won't find source files
>> that are in the same directory, or /usr/include, even though they
>> exist.
>When I got into this state I had no but a working one in the compile
>directory. Copied that in place, as well as all other ld stuff. Then in
>/usr/src/usr.bin/make the new make was not functional ...

  Wouldn't this be Yet Another Reason to have a backup root&usr
partition that one can boot from?  For awhile, I had an
80MB wd0h partition on my hard drive with copies of / and /usr,
so that in case disaster struck, I could boot off of
wd(0,h)/netbsd and do damage control with a full, working
(albeit not-quite-current) NetBSD system.  Like a
disaster-control floppy, but bigger.  :)

  Of course, such a partition would need to be below the 528MB
limit for it to be bootable, at least on i386.

Brian Grayson (
Graduate Student, Electrical and Computer Engineering
The University of Texas at Austin
Office:  ENS 406       (512) 471-8011
Finger for PGP key.