Subject: Re: BEWARE: don't build in-space
To: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/1997 20:14:07
>In message <>you write:
>> While it always (ah, nearly always) worked; with the current directory
>> changes you probably can't update a system in-space by "make install"
>> without a DESTDIR set. No matter how new your new kernel is and what
>> /usr/share/mk stuff you did install - it will most probably completly
>> fuck up your system.

>In what way?  I was just on the way to update my system via make install.
>What hast bitten you, and why is this supposedly fixed by setting DESTDIR?

>> You can recover without external help though - but it takes time and is
>> tedious...

>Just like the last time after an update 3 weeks ago when fsck happily cleared
>/etc's content while doing a remote reboot...

I have managed to get my system into a state where make simply refuses
to build anything at all.  Most of the time it won't find source files
that are in the same directory, or /usr/include, even though they

I haven't found the solution to this, yet.  DESTDIR didn't seem to
help.  I'd like extra detail on this, or other tips that might get me
building, again.

  Michael L. VanLoon
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.