Subject: Re: BEWARE: don't build in-space
To: Martin Husemann <>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/1997 22:40:01
>> I have managed to get my system into a state where make simply refuses
>> to build anything at all.  Most of the time it won't find source files
>> that are in the same directory, or /usr/include, even though they
>> exist.

>When I got into this state I had no but a working one in the compile
>directory. Copied that in place, as well as all other ld stuff. Then in
>/usr/src/usr.bin/make the new make was not functional, removing it and
>relinking by hand (cc -o make *.o) did the trick. Copied that make in place
>as well. After fiddling around a while I found at least install and cpp
>being broken as well, cpp in non-obvious ways, processing most files correctly
>but for instance main.c in /usr/src/usr.bin/make ended up empty, so cc
>complained about missing _main entry point.
>I fixed all that in panic mode and am not sure if these were all main
>gotchas, but I succeeded in getting the machine full up again in less then
>6 hours - and now am waiting to downgrade libc again...

Fun!  I can identify with that situation.  At least my machine is
working mostly correctly, until I can get it buildable again.

What state of current was your machine in before I got messed up?
I. e. how old were your current binaries before they broke?  Mine were
a little over a month, FWIW...

I'll play with the compile/link by hand stuff, unless an i386 binary
snapshot shows up within the next few hours.

  Michael L. VanLoon
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.