Subject: Re: BEWARE: don't build in-space
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/1997 22:40:01
>> I have managed to get my system into a state where make simply refuses
>> to build anything at all.  Most of the time it won't find source files
>> that are in the same directory, or /usr/include, even though they
>> exist.

>When I got into this state I had no ld.so but a working one in the compile
>directory. Copied that in place, as well as all other ld stuff. Then in
>/usr/src/usr.bin/make the new make was not functional, removing it and
>relinking by hand (cc -o make *.o) did the trick. Copied that make in place
>as well. After fiddling around a while I found at least install and cpp
>being broken as well, cpp in non-obvious ways, processing most files correctly
>but for instance main.c in /usr/src/usr.bin/make ended up empty, so cc
>complained about missing _main entry point.
>
>I fixed all that in panic mode and am not sure if these were all main
>gotchas, but I succeeded in getting the machine full up again in less then
>6 hours - and now am waiting to downgrade libc again...

Fun!  I can identify with that situation.  At least my machine is
working mostly correctly, until I can get it buildable again.

What state of current was your machine in before I got messed up?
I. e. how old were your current binaries before they broke?  Mine were
a little over a month, FWIW...

I'll play with the compile/link by hand stuff, unless an i386 binary
snapshot shows up within the next few hours.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.