Subject: Re: ATTENTION: avoid using libc.13
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@web.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 10/20/1997 20:00:17
On Mon, 20 Oct 97 17:02:44 -0400 (EDT)
 woods@kuma.web.net (Greg A. Woods) wrote:

 > Never ever back out library version numbers even if what you're doing is
 > removing functionality.  Always go forward.
 >
 > Also please consider only using every other version number (i.e. all the
 > even numbers) and leave every other number for the local administrator.
 > This at least gets partly around the naming problem that prevents
 > representation of branching in some sane way.

In this particular case, we decided to back it down because:

	(a) It should have never been bumped in the first place, and

	(b) it had only been bumped for a day or two.

There is a fairly straight-forward way of getting out of the libc.so.13
mess...

Basically:

	mkdir /usr/lib/crap
	mv /usr/lib/libc.so.13.0 /usr/lib/crap
	ldconfig /usr/lib /usr/lib/crap ...

	<now, rebuild anything you built since it was bumped>

	rm -rf /usr/lib/crap

Normally, yah, you don't back down version numbers... however, we felt
it would be the least bad of the possibilities.

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 415 604 0935