Subject: Re: pccons/pcvt and X interaction problems
To: Lonhyn T. Jasinskyj <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/17/1997 23:15:07
Lonhyn T. Jasinskyj <lonhyn@nas.nasa.gov> wrote:

>Has anyone experienced the following problem (on an x86):
>
>When the console is pccons (i.e. pc0) the X server will completely
>hang (no mouse or keyboard input) after some amount of time (not usage
>dependent it seems), usually within 10 minutes to an hour.

Yes! I see this running NetBSD 1.2 on my Gateway Pentium 133.  At first I
thought it was the mouse, so I switched from a Bus mouse to a Serial
mouse.  Then I tried changing the keyborad timeouts on the Gateway
keyboard.  As I recall I've seen the same thing with FreeBSD 2.1 on the
same system which is what lead me to believe it was some funky Gateway
hardware problem. The machine is still up and running though and I've
always been able to telnet in from some other system when this happens.

Is there a lot of common code in the pccons module used by both BSD
systems?  Is it really possible there's a bug in this code that is
causing the problem?

-bob