Subject: 3com pcmcia anp apm problems
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@psc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 10/16/1997 09:44:01
Hi.  I'm running the marc-pcmcia branch on my laptop and have noticed
two problems:

* I have a 3com Etherlink III LAN card which works fine, and a 3com
Etherlink III LAN+Modem card (brand new) where the modem works fine but
the ethernet doesn't.  Win95 runs the LAN+Modem card fine, but when
NetBSD boots it corrupts the MAC address.  The latest kernels hang when
I ifconfig the LAN+Modem card, earlier kernels (a few weeks ago) would
work (but use the damaged MAC address).

In the dmesg output, ep0 is the LAN card and ep1 is the LAN+Modem card.

pcic0 at isa0 port 0x3e0-0x3e1 iomem 0xd0000-0xd3fff: using irq 5
pcic0: controller 0 (Cirrus PD672X) has sockets A and B
pcmcia0 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 0
ep0 at pcmcia0 function 0 port 0x400-0x40f: 3Com 3C589 Ethernet
ep0: MAC address 00:60:97:8f:df:ef
ep0: 8KB byte-wide FIFO, 5:3 Rx:Tx split, utp/aui/bnc (default utp)
pcmcia0: card irq 9
pcmcia1 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 1
ep1 at pcmcia1 function 0 port 0x300-0x30f: 3Com 3C562 Ethernet
ep1: MAC address 28:16:21:f8:00:7a
ep1: 8KB byte-wide FIFO, 5:3 Rx:Tx split, utp/aui/bnc (default utp)
pcmcia1: card irq 10

* The second problem is with apm.  John Kohl's patches let my machine
suspend and restart reliably.  Using the marc-pcmcia branch:
  - If I put the laptop to sleep using the suspend key sequence or by
closing the lid, the machine will crash 90% of the time when I wake it
up.
  - If I use "zzz" to sleep the machine, it will usually wake up okay.
However, it will hang for about 60 seconds on the first disk access
with the disk light blinking about twice per second.  Sometimes it will =

give a soft error on wd0 when it finishes, sometimes not.

The suspend problems occur whether or not I have pcmcia cards in my
machine.  Here's an example of the wd0 error:

wd0b: soft error (corrected) reading fsbn 12312 of 8216-8223 (wd0 bn 85903=
2; cn 426 tn 3 sn 27)

Let me know if you need any more info.  My laptop is an IBM Thinkpad 701cs=
.

	-Kevin Sullivan