Subject: "make install" broken wrt whatis?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: maximum entropy <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/16/1997 05:05:01

While running a make build on sources supped Wednesday, I noticed that
during the "make install" phase the rebuild of the whatis database is
now done *before* the man pages are actually installed.  Previously,
makewhatis was run as one of the very last commands during

As an experiment I nuked my /usr/share/man hierarchy and reran "make
install".  Sure enough, I ended up with an empty whatis database.  I'm
now running makewhatis manually to recreate it.

Have I broken something on my system or is something broken in the
-current mk files?

p.s. in case it matters:  NetBSD 1.2G NetBSD 1.2G (C466DE) #0: Wed Oct 15 17:36:57 EDT 1997 i386