Subject: Re: Kernel build errors in krpc_subr.o
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 10/09/1997 15:02:11
>> If you build a kernel with network and nfs support, but without any
>> [ARP-caable devices], you'll get several undefined symbols [...]

>> -file nfs/krpc_subr.c			nfs
>> +file nfs/krpc_subr.c			nfs & arp

> If you do that, then you can not do NFS root over PPP/SLIP, (with
> BOOTP) which was intended to work.  Does anybody care?

About PPP/SLIP?  I'm not sure anyone does; how many supported machines
have boot roms that know how to boot over PPP or SLIP?

BUT...this applies to all network interfaces that don't do ARP, not
just PPP/SLIP.  As such, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if someone had,
say, a machine with a fiber-optic interface for one of those protocols
where your IP last octet is your station address (and hence doesn't do
anything ARPish), with boot roms that know how to use it....

I certainly do think we should fix it right.  (I'm not sure I think it
should hold up 1.3, though.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca