Subject: Re: while we're looking at old bugs
To: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/07/1997 07:28:30
On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Michael C. Richardson wrote:

:     John> tar(1) does (and specifically tests for running as root
:     John> before trying).

:   This is one reason I prefer pax to tar/cpio.
:   If I want to untar something as root, and keep it as a root, then
: I can't do it. I didn't tar it up as root, because I didn't want to
: give root to my build process, but the resulting files should be root.

Why does our tar imply '-p' on uid/gid as root?  Shouldn't I be required to
ask for -p as necessary?  (Seems that would solve your problem twofold.)

But as to the original thread, kill the message in mv. in an '#if
_POSIX_RESTRICTED_CHOWN' block so we don't have to see it as non-root.  I've
had quite a few people already complain, confused as to what the message
means.  It's doing no use to us since non-root users can't chown....

=====
== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com)
== I know you like the Internet, Bobby.  Now go eat your Frosted Flakes.