Subject: Re: Questions about 1.3
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/1997 14:56:33
On Thu, 2 Oct 1997 22:35:38 -0400 (EDT)  der Mouse wrote:

> > Personally, I don't find 8 partitions limiting at all.
>
> Neither do I...on some systems.  On others, it borders on crippling.

There will obviously be considerable difference in the way systems are
setup, but on the i386 port I find eight partitions to be on the
meagre side:

a	root
b	swap
c	whole disk
d	whole disk

... four gone ...

e	/usr (NFS exported, in my case)
f	/var (which I *really* want to keep separate)

This is six partitions.  Now if you just add, say, /home and
/usr/local then all is fine.  Almost any other setup and it is
"Whoops!  Out of partitions!".

Partitioning also effects dump, and if (like me) you have more disk
space in use than fits on a single tape unattended backups require
that some partitioning be done.

Giles