Subject: Re: Questions about 1.3
To: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/1997 07:53:24
On Thu, Oct 02, 1997 at 07:54:04PM -0600, Trevin Beattie wrote:
> >1. Will 1.3 still have the limit of 8 partitions / disk (on i386 port
> >   specifically)?  This limit gets worse by the growing disk sizes.
>
> Personally, I don't find 8 partitions limiting at all.  IMHO, subdividing a
> disk into more than one partition per file system is a bad way to go,
> because then you run into problems with some partitions filling up quickly
> and running out of room while other partitions still have plenty of space,
> and you have to work around it by creating symlinks everywhere.

We-ell.  I want to have separate /, swap, /usr, /var, /tmp, /usr/local, /src,
and /home.  If one fs explodes, the rest should still be ok.  If someone
fills up /tmp, /var will still be ok.  I can easily back up the separate
filesystems at different time intervals (no need to back up / and /usr
every night, for example).  On i386, I can only have 5 "real" filesystems
(three partitions are used by xxxb (swap), xxxc, and xxxd).  With 1-gig
disks, this is not a problem, because I can't fit all that many filesystems
on one disk, anyway - but with a 4 GB disk I had to drop /usr/local, put
/tmp and /home on another disk - and create a huge /empty partition which
will be broken down as soon as the system supports more partitions.

When the 23 GB disks become more common, I can imagine having even more
filesystems on one disk.  Otherwise, I would end up with a 2 GB root,
10 GB /usr etc..

I have always wanted to use different filesystems for different things
and I never ran into this kind of limitations in AmigaOS. ;-)

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 21:30 EET DST Mon-Fri

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---