Subject: Re: while we're looking at old bugs
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/1997 09:16:48
>bin/1223 complains that if you move a file that you don't own between
>filesystems, mv prints a warning about the failure of the chown() to
>reset the file ownership.  This confuses novices and fills news log
>files with useless fluff.  Reasoning from the wording of the mv(1) and
>cp(1) manual pages, I think the message is inappropriate and should be
>removed.

I pr'd this one too for exactly the same reasons.  It was closed with
a "mv is doing the right thing" comment.
I just modified all my news sw to mv x y 2>/dev/null
I would prefer to be able to see useful errors from mv - like no space left,
but...

--sjg

--
Simon J. Gerraty        <sjg@quick.com.au>

#include <disclaimer>   /* imagine something _very_ witty here */