Subject: Re: while we're looking at old bugs
To: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1997 22:11:37
> At any rate, the ability to mv(1) to a directory on another filesystem
> is itself _new_.

Rubbish.

I have before me the "UNIX Programmers Manual, Volume 1, 7th Edition (Revised
and Expanded Version)" which says:

	If file1 and file2 lie on different file systems, mv must copy the
	file and delete the original.  In this case the owner name becomes
	that of the copying process and any linking relationship with other
	files is lost.

Note that mv did, however, copy the file.  (And no, it didn't print any
error message.)  Granted, because I am too lazy to hunt down my 6th Edition
manual set, I can't prove this wasn't added to mv(1) (or MV(I)) for
7th Edition and thus could be considered "new" by someone who got their start
on 6th Edition (like me), I really think that's stretching the point.

The message is *useless* because it doesn't allow you to correct the error
(the original file is long gone).  It might as well be a random koan.