Subject: Re: Questions about 1.3
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1997 19:54:04
At 04:55 pm 10/2/97 +0300, Jukka Marin wrote:
>1. Will 1.3 still have the limit of 8 partitions / disk (on i386 port
>   specifically)?  This limit gets worse by the growing disk sizes.

Personally, I don't find 8 partitions limiting at all.  IMHO, subdividing a
disk into more than one partition per file system is a bad way to go,
because then you run into problems with some partitions filling up quickly
and running out of room while other partitions still have plenty of space,
and you have to work around it by creating symlinks everywhere.  The ccd
concept, I think, was a Very Good Idea.  Provided the cluster/fragment
sizes remain optimal, we need fewer partitions per drive, not more.

Trevin Beattie          "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
trevin@xmission.com     for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      {:->                                     --unknown