Subject: Re: pkg_install
To: Markus Illenseer <>
From: Luke Mewburn <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1997 12:21:14
Markus Illenseer writes:
>  Noone needs to carry all the stuff. I rather think we should distribute
> the stuff to several servers. How about,
> and so forthn, and one master like
> FreeBSD has a slightly other attempt:,
> and so forth. But we have several ports
> to cover...

NetBSD has a similar scheme:		Master site	Australia ftp mirror	German ftp mirror	Netherlands ftp mirror	British ftp mirror	==

As to the question of ports. Currently has
2.6GB devoted to NetBSD, but I don't have NetBSD-1.0 or 1.1 there.

*If* the various ports that are able to share userland code
(such as the m68k machines) do so for NetBSD distributions and for
packages, then I think the disk space issues can be alleviated a bit.

IMHO, each `' mirror should have the full latest
official release, -current source, packages, and possible the arch
stuff if there's been a reasonable time since the release.

I don't really like the idea. It's ... unweildy.

{ftp,www} mirror maintainer
NetBSD Developer. <>