Subject: Re: pkg_install
To: Andrew Reilly <reilly@zeta.org.au>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/1997 17:13:18
ANDF is the answer to a question no one here is asking:  how do I support
multiple platforms without handing out my precious, proprietary source code
to people whose wierd computers I don't have?

Let's just not go there, please.

The goal is to have popular software packages already compiled and
ready-to-install for each of the platforms that NetBSD supports.  This is a
conveninence for busy people, and makes NetBSD that much more attractive to
potential users - there's less work to do to set up a system for a wider array
of uses.

(as an aside, I was very pleasantly surprised when that after upgrading to
NetBSD from SunOS 4.1.4, and reviewing the contents of the standard system -
about half of my /usr/local/bin got freed up, and I stopped having to think
about maintenance of those programs - Bravo).

I was simply asking about additional binaries optimized for each processor in
each platform, because the processors in a family do differ, and supposedly
the reason the chip designers made changes was for better performance (when
they weren't fixing floating point bugs, that is).

The answer back seems to be: gcc doesn't really do enough with the differences
between processors in a family to bother with. We can revisit this issue again
after the intial ports system is set up and working, and the next version of
gcc comes out.

Fine with me.

	Erik E. Fair	fair@clock.org