Subject: Re: pkg_install
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/1997 15:40:51
> > 	68000
>  This asumes that Atari, Amiga and the Mac-port are finally binary-compatible.
> Are they? (I dont now)

They have been for quite some time except in a couple of areas.  I
think they can all use a common libkvm, now (but I'm not positive on
that--several can share).  The m68k platforms are more than just those
three...  atari, amiga, hp300, mac68k, sun3, sun3x, and x68k should all
be able to share most binaries.  The ones that it will probably never be
possible to share are ones that access certain, specific devices (like
eeprom).  Others would take some significant work to share more widely
(like grfconfig), but those are not candidates for 'packages'.

> > 68020? 68030? 68040? 68060?
> > v7 sparc? v8 sparc?
> > 386? 486? Pentium? Pentium Pro? Pentium II?

As far as I know, these are not issues if you choose compilation options
properly.  It is possible to compile code that works on all the
processors of a specific platform, right.  I'm sure that's true for the
68k and ix86.

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com