Subject: Re: pkg_install
To: Alistair Crooks <azcb0@juno.uts.amdahl.com>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/1997 18:02:20
> Upgrade to -current from 1.2.1. The FreeBSD pkg_* tools are in the
> tree. We are about to get the FreeBSD `ports' system (as the NetBSD
> `pkgs' system, `ports' mean something different in NetBSD-land).

 Ha, great. Thats nice to know, we badly needed that in my opinion.
Let me know if I you need help to build up a distribution.

> FreeBSD are about to move to a different package method based on
> libzip, and we will probably follow suit once the initial features have
> been ironed out. This (the new package method) won't be in NetBSD 1.3.

 Doesnt matter that much, as long as we have a start to go with. It would
be easier to support people when we know which package they use and how
they install it, rather than asking several questions about this and that...

> What's the NetBSD-architecture "issue"? Simply that NetBSD doesn't assume
> everything is in little-endian byte order?

 Well, unless FreeBSD, we need to support several archtectures. It would be
nice using an algorithm/distribution which would automatically take care of
that by downloading the correct package. It's not an endian-problem. It more
or less a space-problem and of course a matter of detection which platform
you are running on.

--
Markus Illenseer