Subject: Re: pkg_install
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@beaver.core.de>
From: Alistair Crooks <azcb0@juno.uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/1997 01:05:19
>  I know we had that topic some time ago already. Since then I was able to
> compile and use pkg_install from FreeBSD-current on my NetBSD 1.2.1 system.
>
>  What I do want to know is if someone else is working on this subject,
> and if anything is planned, ie. common distribution for FreeBSD and
> NetBSD, solve the NetBSD-architecture "issue"...

Upgrade to -current from 1.2.1. The FreeBSD pkg_* tools are in the
tree. We are about to get the FreeBSD `ports' system (as the NetBSD
`pkgs' system, `ports' mean something different in NetBSD-land).

FreeBSD are about to move to a different package method based on
libzip, and we will probably follow suit once the initial features have
been ironed out. This (the new package method) won't be in NetBSD 1.3.

What's the NetBSD-architecture "issue"? Simply that NetBSD doesn't assume
everything is in little-endian byte order?

Alistair