Subject: Re: bin/2932:
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/29/1997 16:36:03
I wrote:
> > Why aren't we just using the "DESTDIR" option, to put the binaries
> > in a different tree?  Those with special apps, can remove the
> > appropriate problem files.  Why complicate everyone running -current
> > because we have a special app?

Then David Brownlee replied with:
> 	Because the added functionality would be of real benefit for
> 	some people (Why should I have to go in and pick out the stuff
> 	I never wanted compiled in the first place), and costs virtually
> 	nothing for everybody who never uses it (One variable test)

Probably would be a benefit for some.  Personally I consider compiling
everything an important test of -current.

> 	What complication has been introduced for anybody who does not
> 	use 'NOBUILD'?

Well, perhaps none, if the changes are only to /etc/mk.conf.  Otherwise
it is "Yet Another Undocumented Option" :)  But probably not a problem,
unless I happen to use variable XXX myself, not knowing it is "reserved."

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.