Subject: Re: bin/2932:
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/29/1997 12:37:15
On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Andrew Gillham wrote:

> > On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, David Brownlee wrote:
> >
> > > 	How about having a 'NOBUILD' variable in /etc/mk.conf...
> > > + NOBUILD!=if echo " ${NOBUILD} " | egrep -q " ${PROG} " ; \
> > > +     then echo YES ; else echo NO ; fi
>
> Why aren't we just using the "DESTDIR" option, to put the binaries
> in a different tree?  Those with special apps, can remove the
> appropriate problem files.  Why complicate everyone running -current
> because we have a special app?

	Because the added functionality would be of real benefit for
	some people (Why should I have to go in and pick out the stuff
	I never wanted compiled in the first place), and costs virtually
	nothing for everybody who never uses it (One variable test)

	What complication has been introduced for anybody who does not
	use 'NOBUILD'?

		David/abs

	-- Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad. --