Subject: Re: PR #2187 (msdosfs)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/1997 22:06:35
At 12:47 pm 9/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
>On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Trevin Beattie wrote:
>> 12		NT attribute	Reserved for use by Windows NT.
>> 13		Creation time	Milliseconds (thousandths of a second)
>> 		(msec)		after the minute the entry was created.
>> 					This field is combined with the previous
>> 					one to provide a higher time resolution.
>
>Combined with the previous one or the next one?
>
>> 14-15		Creation time	Time the entry was created.  This field is
>> 					accurate to the minute.
>
>> Note: after some experimentation and testing with Norton Disk Doctor, it
>> seems the creation time (msec) field is actually (msec % 200), because any
>> value >=200 is considered an error.
>
>Hmm... from my experimentation, it's not msec, but 1/100th of a second.
>And the creation time field, in bytes 14-15 is the same format as the old
>modification time field, i.e. accurate to 2 seconds. If it really was only
>accurate to the minute, how would you get millisecond resolution using
>just one extra byte? You can't fit 60000 milliseconds into a byte :)
>
>Anyways, as far as I know, 14-15 contain the time accurate to 2 seconds,
>and 13 contains the rest of the time, 0 through 199 centiseconds.

Let me just say that the quote from Norton was just copied directly from
the book; I'm not responsible for any technical mistakes.  As for the msec
entry, my note was just a guess; all I know is that the value can't be more
than 199.

Trevin Beattie          "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
trevin@xmission.com     for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      {:->                                     --unknown