Subject: Re: bin/4167: WIBNI sh supported file/command/etc completion?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/1997 18:21:38
On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Todd Vierling wrote:

> If you want job control, line editing, history, why not just _use_bash_?
> It's not called the Bourne Again Shell for no reason.  No commercial unixen

Because it is not included with the system, and is not compatible with
our licensing.

> that I know of have extensive line editing and other features in sh, csh, or
> ksh--you're typically "expected" to install your own shell for the added

Au contraire, ksh supports job-control, CL editing, and completion on
(at least) NetBSD, FreeBSD, Irix, Solaris, A/UX, and AIX...

> Stuff.  Most SVR4 variants even ship two versions of sh--'sh' and 'jsh', the
> former lacking job control, and the other supplied with it.  The reason for
> two versions?  Sh without job control loads faster!

Actually, as much because job control was a berkeleyism, and jsh was a
later variant... (similar to how many SVR4's still bundle oawk, for UNIX
VII compatibility...)

--
				Jim Wise
				jim.wise@turner.com