Subject: Re: bin/4167: WIBNI sh supported file/command/etc completion?
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
From: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/1997 16:50:18
On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, John Nemeth wrote:

>      In any event, not only is /bin/sh statically linked, it must go
> on install/ERD's (Emergency Recovery Disk).  It really needs to be as
> lean and mean as possible.  People that want all the fancy command
> line type things that make interactive usage nicer can always use
> bash.  Personally, I still use a csh for interactive usage.

This is a good argument for having the sh compile use -DSMALL, as ftp
does.  It is not a particularly good argument for not making this
functionality an option.  It _is_ true that now that we have a ksh(1) in
the tree, sh is less important for interactive use, but it should be
supported, and include full POSIX shell compatibility.

An important goal of the shell is to provide a compatible UI between
systems, and if our shell is so brain-dead that everyone runs their own
favorite toy shell, this goal is not met...

--
				Jim Wise
				jim.wise@turner.com