Subject: Re: proposal: NetBSD system buyer's directory
To: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/1997 11:12:04
> >it might be better if the "register" script just mentioned to them
> >that they might want to do this.  the less things there are mucking
> >with other things, the better off everything is.  let them do it
> >themselves.  if it annoys them enough (when it's really quite benign),
> >they'll do it, believe me.
> Of course, if it annoys them enought they may just punt NetBSD and
> install one of the other *BSDs or Linux instead.

Do any of the other BSDs or Linux have registration schemes?  (Or in Linux'
case, do any of the few dozen standard Linux CD distribution houses have
any kind of registration scheme?)

Given that I've seen banner ads for FreeBSD on (Yahoo?), they certainly seem
quite comfortable with aggressive marketing, so automatic registration of
FreeBSD of the types being discussed wouldn't surprise me much.

One disadvantage of putting the registration request in /etc/rc is that it
will annoy every user of a multiuser system, not just the administrator whom
you're trying to cajole into running /sbin/register...