Subject: Re: bin/4167: WIBNI sh supported file/command/etc completion?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/27/1997 23:48:48
>	I don't know anyone who uses /bin/sh as their login shell who is
>concerned about ease of use.

Well, I use ksh, but the only reason I'm not using /bin/sh is that I
like to have variable interpolation in my prompt; apart from that, I
prefer to use plain sh when possible...  But I consider the ${foo%%bar}
stuff and the command line history necessary.

(Well, very very desirable.)

Yes, I can type fairly fast; I use expensive ergonomic keyboards, and a
Dvorak layout, and I have been able to get >100wpm.  I still find that
I want to repeat a lot of tedious commands, and I want to correct errors
easily.

Command line editing is a lot more useful to me, a non-ease-of-use-person,
than it is to a person who types small simple commands.

Consider
	for i in foo/*
	do
		cd /usr/src/${i#foo/}
		tar xvpf /tmp/$i > /tmp/$i.list
	don

Wouldn't you consider the ability to add that 'e' without retyping the
whole thing to be a win?

Yes, I really do things like this at the command line.  It's not that hard.

-s