Subject: Re: Boot messages into /var/log/messages ...
To: Luwenth the Lewd <luwenth@netscum.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 09/26/1997 14:36:56
On Fri, 26 Sep 1997 13:46:25 -0700
 Luwenth the Lewd <luwenth@netscum.com> wrote:

 > 	I am working on trying to figure out why a recently acquired SCSI
 > tape changer isn't behaving, and I noticed a large change in the
 > information that's being put into /var/log/messages on a reboot.
 > 	It used to be that all the messages to console started with cpu0.
 > Now, I seem to be only getting snippets of all the messages.
 > 	Is this something I likely flubbed in my config file, or is there
 > something else that I'm missing?
 > 	I'm including the messages old and new, and my conf file, if anyone
 > wants to take the time to look them over.
 > 	-- Ricky

Hmm, did you recently update your sources?  If you did, and built a new
kernel, and didn't update syslogd and dmesg, this could be part of the
problem.  The way the message buffer is mapped was changed, and the
expected lossage from not being in sync is a bit like you're describing.

ciao.

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 415 604 0935