Subject: PR bin/2932
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/26/1997 11:29:40
In PR bin/2932 (http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-full-pr?2932) Michael
Graff talks about problems with sendmail when using another mailer.  I
have this same problem.  I use smail which carefully implements all of
sendmail's command line arguments so that it can be a drop-in replacement
for sendmail.  My problem is that if I build the whole system, my smail
version of sendmail gets overwritten by sendmail and if I don't notice
it, my mail stops working properly.

I have fixed this by using a modified version of the relevant makefile
that has the sendmail target removed.  This mostly works but since
starting that, sendmail was moved in the tree and sendmail was built
and installed again.  Very annoying.

Perhaps we need a local configuration file for things of this nature.
I'm thinking that there must be other things that people like to
replace with other versions.  Something like:

sendmail no

To turn off the build of sendmail.  I'm not sure what mechanism we
could use since it affects the makefiles.  Anyone have any thoughts?