Subject: Re: X questions, SLiRP v. SLIP/IP-NAT question
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/1997 15:49:09
On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Andrew Gillham wrote:

> > >Lastly, I've heard rumours of freeware Mac-side software that serves X.
> > >Does anyone have any information this way? What I *think* I'm looking for
> > >is something akin to eXodus or MacX. Another, related question: Would
> > >running an X connection over a 19200 baud SLIP connection be too painful to
> > >consider? Or would it be okay?
>
> Look for 'MI/X' on http://tnt.microimages.com.  It is a free X server
> for Windows and Mac.  Works for most things, although it has no XDMCP
> support, and a few bugs.

Note that there is a free XDMCP client on info-mac and some other mac
sites (see the info-mac hyper-archive at http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu
).  To use it, for example, start up MI/X, start up MacXDMCP, enter the
hostname to connect to, and hit `connect' in MacXDMCP.  The XDMCP host
will respond by opening x connections to the mac, which will be fielded
by MI/X.

--
				Jim Wise
				jim.wise@turner.com