Subject: Re: X questions, SLiRP v. SLIP/IP-NAT question
To: Scott Smith <smelly@spy.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/24/1997 17:44:36
Scott Smith wrote:

> > NetBSD 1.2 / i386, XFree86 v3.3.  X server compiled not to use the internal
> > malloc (because it would make things extremely slow with Applixware).
> > I'm using a 16-bit display of 1280x1024, 19 windows (3*Netscape, 1*Applix,
> > several xterms etc).
> >
> > Yeah, I sure wish it didn't eat up that much RAM.  :-I
> >

> No, that's *got* to be impossible, you must be reading something wrong
> or *SOMETHING*.  The X server's binary size isn't even half that, so it
> can't take up that much memory.  My X server (XF86_SVGA) is under 3MB
> and it's *NOT* stripped.  You're reading something wrong or something..

The size of the binary has absolutely nothing to do with how much memory a
program _can_ take up.  You can write a 500 byte program which does
nothing but malloc() memory and hold onto it.  Considering his application
load and the screen size, etc. I'd tend to believe that it just might be
using up that much memory.

Later.