Subject: Re: X questions, SLiRP v. SLIP/IP-NAT question
To: Jukka Marin <>
From: Scott Smith <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/24/1997 18:21:37
On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Jukka Marin wrote:

> > > Well, my X server seems to use 35 MB right now.. plus some 40 MB for the X
> > > applications... ;-) :-(
> >
> NetBSD 1.2 / i386, XFree86 v3.3.  X server compiled not to use the internal
> malloc (because it would make things extremely slow with Applixware).
> I'm using a 16-bit display of 1280x1024, 19 windows (3*Netscape, 1*Applix,
> several xterms etc).
> Yeah, I sure wish it didn't eat up that much RAM.  :-I

No, that's *got* to be impossible, you must be reading something wrong
or *SOMETHING*.  The X server's binary size isn't even half that, so it
can't take up that much memory.  My X server (XF86_SVGA) is under 3MB
and it's *NOT* stripped.  You're reading something wrong or something..

Scott Smith

"Besides, who the hell would use an MS keyboard on an SGI machine, they'd
probably take it back if they saw you doing that."   -