Subject: Re: recent spam attacks...
To: Ben <ben@cs.washington.edu>
From: Jim Wise <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/24/1997 18:25:42
On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Ben wrote:

> Right now we're letting the spammers bombard our lists and then (after
> the Internet has already been burdened with the load of spilth), we're
> making every subscriber run procmail.

_Who_ is bombarding this list?  If you will look at the archives you
will see that we get many more messages saying we need to ban spam than
we ever got of actual spam.  The problem here is not the trickle of spam
we are getting.  The problem is the rants about spam (including this
one).

> Let's change the lists to only accept messages from people who have
> actually bothered to subscribe. This would be much simpler than having
> a moderator and should be just as effective.

As has been pointed out (n+1) times before, a closed list puts an
unwanted burden on new users wanting answers to questions about NetBSD,
who are exactly the people we need to make things easy for.  It also
makes life very difficult for people reading the list through newsgroups
or reading some but not all of the lists...

--
				Jim Wise
				jim.wise@turner.com