Subject: Re: proposal: NetBSD system buyer's directory
To: Lars-Johan Liman <liman@sunet.se>
From: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/24/1997 12:35:20
> From: Lars-Johan Liman
>> From: mjacob@feral.com
>> I wouldn't persuade anyone. I'd put it in one of the rc scripts.
>> You install NetBSD, it will try and send some email back to netbsd.org.
>
>Hmm. Please make sure you get an active ACK before the mail goes, so
>that the user can choose not to send it.
>
>I have an attitude problem against programs that do these kind of
>things behind your back. :-(

pure software does something like this.  after you used it a few times
(i think it was ten) it sent mail back to the user saying something
along the lines of "you've been using the software for a little while,
mind telling us what you think of it?"

as it stands, on systems that aren't managed well, someone ends up
with *reams* of mail from the security scripts (daily, weekly,
monthly, and security) that never gets read.  i've seen some of these
systems.

perhaps something in the daily job that keeps track of how long the
machine has been up and (hypothetically) after it's been up for more
than 24 hours, sends the message in "/etc/registration" to root and
unlinks the file...?  the idea being they don't get it after the first
few reboots, but after it seems they've decided to stick with it for a
while...

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
andrew@echonyc.com (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet