Subject: Re: ffs problem - disk in a total mess after fsck
To: None <s_frueau@ira.uka.de>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 09/22/1997 07:50:04
>> maybe one is a deleted directory entry? i don't know :(

> Hmm, I would really like to know if those entrys are harmfoul.  [...]
> And I don't think clri for 0 would be a good idea - since all those
> "ghost" entrys refer to it.

Aha.  This is important information.

Normally, when a directory entry is deleted, the space it occupies is
merged with the previous entry.  But when deleting the first entry in a
block, something else must be done; what is done is that the inode
number is set to 0.  An entry with inumber 0 represents free space, and
the name string should not be considered meaningful.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca