Subject: Port-mac68k specific: SLOTMAN kernel
To: current users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/14/1997 13:22:12
I've managed to squash a few bugs that showed up during the last week,
so there's now a new and improved SLOTMAN kernel available at

	ftp://ftp.whooppee.com/pub/slotman/slotman-kernel.tgz

In the same directory, you'll also find a .tgz of all the original and
changed source files, as well as a little program to test things out.

(Note:  this ftp server is connected through a very slow, 28.8kB/sec
dial-up connection, so don't expect super-fast transfers!)

Requirements for using this kernel:

1. You need a nubus video card (or one that looks like a nubus card).
   If you only have internal video, don't bother with this kernel, since
   it has the exact same internal video code as does -current.

2. You need to be running one of the following Mac models, because these
   are the only ones for which I've received certain ROM addresses:

	IIsi, IIvx, IIvi, IIci, Quadra 700, Quadra 950,
	Quadra 650, Centris 650, PowerBook Duo 280.

   I _think_ that the Duo 210, 230, 250, 270, 270C, and 280C will also
   work.  Caveat emptor!

3. If your Mac CPU is a 68040, there's a possibility that your card's
   ROM driver _may_ attempt to use the MacOS _HWPriv trap.  This trap
   is _not yet supported_ except for use on 68030-based systems, so you
   _might_ get a console message that looks like this:

	mrg_HWPriv: invalid CPUtype 4

   (_HWPriv is used to manipulate the CPU on-chip instruction and data
   caches, among other things.)

4. Send all feedback directly to me, paul@whooppee.com

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |