Subject: Re: network hang
To: Wailer <banshee@gabriella.abattoir.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 09/12/1997 12:21:19
On Fri, Sep 12, 1997 at 01:38:30AM -0700, Wailer wrote:
> I'm using netbsd as a gateway/workstation.  P133/32 with scsi disks.
> I'm having an issue which I've seen off and on for a very long time
> in which the network just clogs up and ceases to move.  I run ppp over
> a v.34 modem attached to a 16550.  Lockups appear to occur with
> heavy network use, but not always.  This last one happened while a
> client was running cu-seeme, so heavy udp use.

So your PPP links locks up and starts working only after a modem disconnect
and redial?  I see this every now and then on all my NetBSD 1.2 boxes.  I
was hoping this problem had been solved by the com driver changes in
-current.  I thought there was a handshake problem in the com driver which
sometimes prevented data transmission.. but maybe it's not that, then.  I
haven't used an RS tester to see the state of the handshake signals but
I guess I should do that sometime.  My PPP link usually stays up for a few
days in a row, but on a 486 system we see the problem a few times a day.

The problem only affects one PPP link at a time, so I don't think it's
a generic networking problem (Ethernet always works just fine).

  -jm