Subject: Re: kernel hang on boot/i386, atapi
To: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/10/1997 16:15:58
On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Phil Nelson wrote:

: >Your parallel port and SB are sharing the same interrupt; this is Bad.
: >Try disabling the parallel port (or at least its interrupt) and see if
: >the problem Goes Away.
:
: No difference.  Today's GENERIC kernel without lpt* still hangs at the
: same point.

Uh, no.  Disable the _parallel_port_, not the config option in the kernel.
The kernel doesn't have control over interrupt conflicts; you can still run
into mondo problems if an interrupt is shared between two devices.

One other thing I remember from way back:  Comment out the `wds' and `uha'
SCSI controllers unless you really have them.  I've run into off the wall
systems that have frozen on each of these devices' probes, but not
necessarily at probe time.

=====
== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com)
== I know you like the Internet, Bobby.  Now go eat your Frosted Flakes.