Subject: Re: routing
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/1997 10:38:08
tron@lyssa.owl.de (Matthias Scheler):

[ big discussion about point 2 point ethernet and network design ]

Here's my $0.02.  I think Matthias has a point here. I would suggest
this is certainly no worse than using the private address space or NAT.

If we rate techniques on network purity, we would have to ding for any
use of 10/8 or 192.168/16 _and_ we would have to ding for NAT.

		P2P Ether	192.168/16	NAT	Final Network
							Purity Score

	#1	 -1		    0		 0	    -1

Perhaps oskar@zappa.unna.ping.de has settled this by reminding us of
the transparent gateway. I set one of those up once; I'm trying to
remember what the transparent gateway gotchas are, though...it certainly
would require that the outside host number be on the subnet of the inner
router.
Ross Harvey	Avalon Computer Systems, Inc.		  ross@teraflop.com
		Santa Barbara	 		    http://www.teraflop.com