Subject: Re: kern/4099: Gather coredumps in one place
To: John F. Woods <>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/1997 10:12:09
>> Obviously if there is no name, one can't get the name. But when there is
>> a name, it should be possible to get it :-). Is there no way to
>> accomplish that in the kernel short of walking up the tree?

>No.  I apologize for what I hope is a way-too-basic explanation, but:
>vnodes don't have names.  Entry-names have vnodes.  Walking the tree to find
>a currently-plausible pathname for a vnode is the only way to come up with
>a pathname for a file.  The kernel does not keep around any string
>corresponding to what the pathname of a vnode might have been the last time
>it was looked up.  This would be burdensome to keep, potentially expensive to
>generate, and very expensive to keep correct (unless you declare that you don't
>care if it's correct, in which case why maintain it at all?).

It should also be pointed out that it could have several names (hard
links to the same file/directory), and the first name you find might
not be the one that makes "sense".

  Michael L. VanLoon
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.