Subject: Re: routing
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/1997 16:56:23
On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Matthias Scheler wrote:

# On Mon, Sep 08, 1997 at 03:05:43PM -0700, Curt Sampson wrote:
# > Why not just set up a /30 subnet for this instance?
#
# I said *two* single IP adresses. The adresses may not be in a single
# /30 block maybe not even in the same /24 network.
#
# > Having a way to change the semantics of Ethernet or whatever it is you
# > happen to be using seems a bit....pointless.

# I must object. I know a NetBSD user who is forced to use a horrible
# tunneling construction because NetBSD doesn't support this. He got
# 2 IP address from our Univerity (.83 and .84, obviously not in the
# same /30 block) for his leased line, one is used for the router at the
# University the other one for it's NetBSD system. The first solution which
# cames to one's mind is something like this:

	This is not the fault of NetBSD, this is *really bad* network
design.  Just because Linux allows for *really bad* network design, you
shouldn't expect everything to.  I would either ask the Uni to do properly
assign an address block, or use a NAT in there somewhere.

# 	remote-router <-ISDN->	local-router <-Ether->	NetBSD box 1
# 	x.y.z.83		192.168.0.1		192.168.0.2
# 							    +
# 							x.y.z.84 as IP alias
#
# But this solution won't work because the NetBSD box would use 192.168.0.2
# as source IP address for all outgoing packets. With the ability to use
# Ethernet in point to point mode - Linux can handle this btw - he could
# use this solution:
#
# 	remote-router <-ISDN->	local-router <-Ether->	NetBSD box 1
# 	x.y.z.83		192.168.0.1	P2P	x.y.z.84
#
# Because NetBSD can't do this his solution looks like this:
#
# 	remote-router <-ISDN->	local-router <-Ether->	NetBSD box 2
# 	x.y.z.83		192.168.0.1		192.168.0.2
# 							    +
# 				NetBSD box 1 <-Ether->	192.168.1.2
# 				192.168.2.1		    ^
# 				    +			    |
# 				x.y.z.84	---tunnel---+
#
# And I could describe you another scenery where I needed this feature, too.
#
# --
# Matthias Scheler                                http://home.owl.de/~tron/
#

--
Taos Mountain TS         My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>