Subject: Re: 128M confusion (revisited)
To: William Coldwell <billc@warped.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/1997 13:56:16
On Mon, 8 Sep 1997 12:42:17 -0700 (PDT)
 William Coldwell <billc@warped.com> wrote:

 > Try commenting out this:
 >
 > options         NKMEMCLUSTERS=4096      # slots in kmem_map
 > options         NMBCLUSTERS=4096        # slots in mb_map
 >
 > from your config.  I think you're doing the same thing that I like to do,
 > which is blow out the lower 16M of memory, which causes problems at the
 > moment (for me) :).

I agree that commenting out these options will probably help, but
he is most definitely not consuming the lower 16M of memory...

What's probably happening is that when he tries to allocate one of
these insanely huge submaps, the VM code can't find an appropriate
place for them in the kernel_map, and thus reports failure.

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 415 604 0935