Subject: Re: kern/4099: Gather coredumps in one place
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/1997 22:11:28 (Chris G. Demetriou) writes:

>Currently, the only thing that the kernel knows about environment
>variables (or at least "most of the kernel," i'm not going to say that
>i've looked in all of the machine-dependent nooks and crannies) is
>that: [how to copy the environment on exec(2)]

I'm aware of that.  I'm not even sure if it would be a good idea
to let users override this sort of system policy by merely changing
an environment variable.

On the other hand, a process' enviroment includes more then what
environ points to.  E.g. file descriptors and signal settings.

I'm just trying to push this idea to its (reasonable) limits.
Christoph Badura

Now available in print: Lion's Commentary on UNIX 6th Edition, with Source Code