Subject: Problem booting almost generic kernel, sup 1997-09-08
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kjetil Bernhard Thomassen <thomassk@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/1997 11:53:52
I have been tracking current-users for a few months now, and I haven't
seen anything that can directly explain the problems I am seeing
with tne newest source. I know there are changes to the systems
affected by my problem, so I hope that someone is able to help me out.

(BTW: I have also gone from 1.2 to current via source only.)

I have a problem booting my self-compiled current kernel on
my (i386) Compaq LTE 5200 laptop.

It has a SystemSoft BIOS for OPTI Viper 557/558N 1.01 (2450-59)(Version 05.20)
SystemSoft Plug-n-Play BIOS.

This computer has two PC Card slots and APM. In addition to this
I have a docking station with ed2 in it.

The computer and/or docking station does not have a proper power
switch, but only a soft one that triggers something in the PC.
I then get a dialogue box asking if it is ok to shut down. Then
I press return, and the computer shuts down.

It does not seem to be related to the PC Card bus, since it also
fails when I don't have any PC Cards in it.

It is hanging after it has found the:
Cirrus Logic CL-GD7543 (VGA display) at pci0 dev 2 function 0 not configured
isa0 at mainbus0.

The thing that seems to trigger it is when I turn it off using the
softpower switch, and not when I unplug the power cord from the dock.
Also, it seems that this happens after Windows 95 has shut it down and
when I press a key to reboot after NetBSD has done a shutdown -h.

I just tried to unplug the power cord after NetBSD did a shutdown -h,
and then it worked fine.

I have taken the generic kernel config file and just changed the
following:
- BIOSEXTMEM to 39936
- MAXUSERS to 64
- Uncommented pms0

Another problem I see with this kernel is that once I have pressed
a key, it repeats until I press a different key. Then that key
repeats and so on.

Also when the computer is out of the docking station, the keyboard
doesn't seem to work until I trigger the on/off switch.

I have no problems with a telnet session to it.

Neither of these problems happen with a kernel built from
sources the 22nd of August.

One difference between the two kernels is that there is a pause
between the isa0 and the com0 probe in the newer one.

The difference between the old and new kernel is marked with a '#'
in the dmesg output below. The ones with '#' does not show on the
old kernel. Other than that, everything is the same.

I hope that someone will be able to solve my problems, and if you
need more information or want to test something out, then just
ask me. I am a dedicated NetBSD user, and I want to contribute
to the i386 port as well as the arm32 one.

Kjetil B.
mailto:kjetil.b.thomassen@eunet.no
http://login.eunet.no/~kjetilbt/

dmesg output below.
------------------
NetBSD 1.2G (KJETIL) #3: Mon Sep  8 12:17:29 CEST 1997
    thomassk@OSL-0099PC-GP.oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/KJETIL
cpu0: family 5 model 2 step b
cpu0: Intel Pentium (P54C) (586-class)
real mem  = 41545728
avail mem = 36257792
using 532 buffers containing 2179072 bytes of memory
mainbus0 (root)
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1
Opti 82C557 (host bridge) at pci0 dev 0 function 0 not configured
Opti 82C558 (ISA bridge) at pci0 dev 1 function 0 not configured
Cirrus Logic CL-GD7543 (VGA display) at pci0 dev 2 function 0 not configured
isa0 at mainbus0
com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
com2 at isa0 port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5: ns16550a, working fifo
lpt0 at isa0 port 0x378-0x37b irq 7
wdc0 at isa0 port 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14
#atapibus0 at wdc0
wd0 at wdc0 drive 0: <TOSHIBA MK2720FC>
wd0: 1295MB, 2633 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sec
wd0: using 16-sector 16-bit pio transfers, lba addressing
ed2 at isa0 port 0x300-0x31f irq 10
ed2: address 00:a0:d1:02:db:a7, type NE2000 (16-bit)
sb0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x237 irq 7 drq 1: dsp v3.01
#audio0 at sb0
npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0-0xff: using exception 16
pc0 at isa0 port 0x60-0x6f irq 1: color
#pms0 at pc0 irq 12
#pc0: console
fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2
fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
biomask 4040 netmask 4440 ttymask 54c2
boot device: wd0
root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
root file system type: ffs