Subject: Re: How about to config Hayes ESP with glue device rather than magical option?
To: enami tsugutomo <enami@but-b.or.jp>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 09/07/1997 23:15:33
On 08 Sep 1997 08:08:02 +0900
 enami tsugutomo <enami@but-b.or.jp> wrote:

 > isa0 at pcib0
 > hayesesp0 at isa0 port 0x280-0x287 irq 5
 > com3 at hayesesp0 port 0x3e8-0x3f0: 1024 byte fifo

Actually.... I don't understand why we have "hayesesp0 at 0x280", and
then "come3 at hayesesp0 at 0x3e8".  Why the 0x3e8?  What does that
_mean_?

 > (1) `com at isa' disables FIFO when system shutdown, but `com at
 > multi' doesn't.  For Hayes ESP, it did since it was same as `com at
 > isa', but is it actually needed?  In my case, it works without it but
 > since the comment says that it depends on BIOS, I can't say it is
 > unnecessary.  Then, why it doesn't need for multi-port card?  Does it
 > need for on board one?

...this might be a work-around for buggy super-i/o chips?  If it doesn't
hurt in the general case, why not just always disable the FIFO?

 > (2) Is it overwork that spliting the driver for ISA only card (I mean
 > Hayes ESP:-) into bus dependent/independent part?  (but hayespreg.h is
 > in dev/ic ...)

Unless there are other bus attachments for Hayes ESP cards, that header
should be in sys/dev/isa.

It would be nice to have a sys/dev/ic driver for "com", but there needs to
be a nice way to have different names for the driver - i.e., on the hp300,
I don't want "com"s, I want "dca"s, and "apci"s.

 > Anyway, since now it works, before sending it as PR, could someone
 > else please test it and tell me the result if you have a card?  Or,
 > any other comment reading the source is also welcome.  I've put it at
 > the following location:
 >
 > 	ftp://ftp.but-b.or.jp/pub/enami/hayesesp-1997Sep08.diff

I don't have a card, but I'll be glad to take a look.

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 415 604 0935