Subject: Re: README: atapi support merged
To: Manuel BOUYER <email@example.com>
From: Ken Wellsch <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 09/04/1997 10:20:18
I'd like to report some positive news from my perspective. The folks I
work with had lost access to a Sparc box running 4.1.3 they used to burn
CD-R's (via some expensive commercial software), and since I've been
providing NetBSD on their PC's I was optimistic I could provide that
service (yes, we're finally getting some 2nd-hand Sparc boxes now too).
I am still a novice but can finally report success - I used cdrecord-1.5a6
which includes mkisofs 1.11. I did not have any trouble constructing an
ISO 9660 type image, and using vnconfig could confirm the contents also
with ease. As for talking to our dusty old Yamaha CDR-100 unit, that was
another matter. I was finally successful with the 082397 tarball copy of
1.2G. The CDR-100 would appear as "uk0" and when I'd linked /dev/scgx to
/dev/uk0 I was able to happily burn almost two dozen CD-R's at 4x speed.
Doing so at 4x speed was a big thrill for me since I was pulling the images
over the network via NFS, and having tried a couple Adaptec Win'95 based
"commercial" products, they had trouble even at 1x on occasion - not to
mention they're dreadfully useless when it comes to writing "proper" files
I was disappointed though when I tried the 090197 snapshot with integrated
ATAPI to find the CDR-100 now appears to be a CD-ROM (i.e. "cd0") and
I can no longer "pass through" whatever SCSI activity "cdrecord" is
trying to do (or that was my best guess as I thrashed about trying
differing combinations of things).
Also I know this is pure icing stuff and hardly a priority, but being
dumb as a fence-post, I'm not sure how to convince "xmcd-2.2" to have
the correct chat via the new "SCSI" cover to the underlying ATAPI CD-ROM
unit. I tried on a couple different machines and "xmcd" could almost
talk to the drive, but "play" was a definite no-go.
-- Ken Wellsch