Subject: Re: patch for 640M MO
To: c5666305 <c5666305@comp.polyu.edu.hk>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/1997 11:57:50
On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, c5666305 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently got the patch for accessing non 512-bytes block device
> (my 640M MO) from Koji.  How can send the patch to core team so that
> it may be tested and merged into the source tree.  Can anyone tell me how
> to do it ? Thanks.

Is this the patch covered in one of the PR's on the subject (I think there
were three)?

If so, then test it. :-)

I think the problem here is that most of the developpers don't have non
512-byte block devices, so there's not a strong incentive to work on it
(given that each of these developpers does have things they want to do for
their hardware). Your testing of the patches would help.

I'm not sure what is the best thing to do next. I think the folks on
teck-kern need to hash things out, and decide on a method (I think three
were proposed, each moving the boundry of code that knows about
non-512-byte devices to different points). Then folks should test the
patches.

If the patches work for you, that's a step in the right direction.

Take care,

Bill